Company: SoBran, Inc.
Position: Veterinary Technician III
Location: Bethesda, MD
Internal Job #: 17271
Join The Winning Team…Team SoBran - We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran's success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees' individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
SoBran is seeking a Veterinary Technician III to serve at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland (LARC 11).
OVERVIEW: This person is expected to have a general familiarity with day-to-day activities in multiple facilities working with multiple species. We encourage the Veterinary Technologist III - Float Technician to be forward thinking and able to use their knowledge of basic facility and technical practices to accomplish tasks in a wide array of positions and assignments. They create and assist in developing plans to enhance the learning abilities and performance of the staff working on this contract. The Veterinary Technician III must possess strong verbal communication and teaching skills. They will assist the Program Management in the efficient allocation of the budget, write and maintain reports and develop and maintain an effective relationship with the Government staff.
This position’s responsibilities include:
1. Understand and follow all Standard Operating Procedures and Quality Assurance Standards
2. Assist the veterinary staff with examinations and procedures, and alert them to emergencies or other animal related problems
3. Administer clinical treatments as directed (Topical, PO, IM, SQ, IV, ID)
4. Monitor the health status of all animals
5. Safely and correctly handle and restrain animals for observation and procedure
6. Operate complex laboratory equipment required for this position
7. Able in identifying basic operating problems (troubleshoot) of lab equipment and make repairs
8. Calculate drug dosages and administration frequencies
9. Identify and communicate signs of abnormal health and behavior in multiple species
10. Maintain medical records accurately
11. Assist the veterinary and research staff with surgical preparations and procedures
12. Collect, preserve and prepare blood, urine, stool, and tissue samples for testing and shipment
13. Place and maintain all forms and methods of animal identification in all species
14. Participate in all required trainings (topics may include: animal specific information and technical procedures, medical care, OSHA, regulatory, ASP support, and standard operating procedures).
15. Achieve and maintain a proficiency score of at least 95% within one year of appointment, and each year thereafter
16. Provide technical guidance and training to level I and II staff
17. Maintain breeding colony management and recordkeeping
18. Collect post-mortem specimens for shipment or evaluation
19. Supervise caretakers during weekend shifts.
20. Participate in weekly technical or SOP training
21. Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned
Schedule Requirements: Shifts typically occur between 6:00 am and 8:30 pm weekdays. This assignment may include working on weekends and holidays, in which the hours are between 6:00 am to 6:30 pm.
Required Education: Employees’ appointed to the position of Veterinary Technician III must meet one of the following standards prior to appointment:
• An Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology
• A Bachelor’s degree in one of the Physical Sciences, Animal Sciences, or related discipline.
Certification: Employees must hold an AALAS certification at the LATg level.
Required Experience: 7 years as a Veterinary Technician working in the Laboratory Animal field working with multiple species preferred.
SoBran, Inc. is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.