21490 Animal Caretaker I (Open Positions: 1)
Location: Poolesville, Poolesville, MD 20842
Department: SoBran BioScience
Division: SoBran BioScience
Job Status: Full-Time Apply Now
Join The Winning Team….Team SoBran - We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran's success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees' individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
We are currently seeking an Animal Caretaker I to serve in Poolesville, MD at the National Institutes of Health.
OVERVIEW: Responsibilities of this position are that of a Laboratory Animal Caretaker I for the NIH, Laboratory Animal Care Project These responsibilities include all activities required for the proper care and maintenance of laboratory animals.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Primary duties may include the following:
*All employees are expected to perform their duties as assigned. Works hours may vary but typically are schedule between 6:00 am and 3:30 pm M-F, and 5:30 am-1 pm on weekends and holidays.
This person is expected to be familiar with the day-to-day activities, personnel and issues within the facilities. We expect the Laboratory Animal Caretaker I to be forward thinking and create and assist in developing plans to enhance the learning abilities and performance of the staff working on this contract. The Laboratory Animal Caretaker I will assist the Program Management in the efficient allocation of the budget and develop and maintain an effective relationship with the Government staff. .
• Understands and follows all SOP’s and Quality Assurance Standards.
• Performs daily animal health checks and reports any abnormal animal conditions to the veterinary technician and /or floor supervisor.
• Disposes of dead animals following standard SOP’s and policies.
• Changes animal caging, to include feed and water, according to SOP’s and/or specific approved protocols and the schedule established by the floor supervisor.
• Maintains daily animal census sheets, room equipment and status form sheets, and other forms requested by the floor supervisor.
• Cleans and sanitizes animal facility and assigned rooms according to SOP’s.
• Maintains and repairs animal caging and support equipment.
• Receives, examines, transfers, identifies and properly houses incoming animal shipments according to SOP’s.
• Assist with the restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as requested by the investigators.
• Assist in ANY contract related activity as assigned by the floor supervisor or to complete daily assignments.
• Must be able to lift heavy weights; bend, stoop, climb and stand for a prolonged period.
• Perform any other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Employees’ appointed to the position of Animal Caretaker I must meet the following standards prior to appointment:
• A High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Valid Driver’s License
Employees should hold a current AALAS certification at the ALAT level, or must achieve this certification within one year of appointment to the position.
1-3 years prior laboratory animal experience preferred.
SoBran, Inc. is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.