21455 Veterinary Technician I
Location: Poolesville, Poolesville, MD 20842
Department: SoBran BioScience
Division: SoBran BioScience
Job Status: Full-Time Apply Now
SoBran is seeking a Veterinary Technician I to serve in Bethesda, Maryland.
OVERVIEW: Responsibilities of this position are that of a Veterinary Technician I for the NIH, Animal Care Project. These responsibilities include all activities required for the proper care and maintenance of on-site animals.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
*All employees are expected to perform their duties as assigned, arrive to work at 7:00am and depart at 3:30pm M-F. You will be required to work on the weekends as scheduled. The weekend / holiday hours are from 10am to 2:00pm (no more than 4 hours per day). In addition you may be expected to work extra hours during an emergency situation or if any unexpected situation arise until work is completed.
Primary duties may include the following:
1. Understand and follow SOP's, protocols, safety procedures, and quality assurance guidelines for animal care at all levels of biohazard containment.
2. Assist veterinarian with examinations and procedures, and alert veterinarian of emergencies or animal problems.
3. Administer clinical treatments as directed (Topical, PO, IM, SQ, IV, ID) to critical and chronic animals.
4. Monitor, observe, identify and communicate signs of abnormal behavior or poor health status of in-house animals.
5. Perform blood withdrawals using an assortment of techniques (retro-orbital, tail nick, anterior vena cava).
6. Perform in-house necropsy and tissue removal for the monthly sentinel program as well as sick animals and/or study directive and end points.
7. Safely and correctly handle / restrain animals for observation and/or minor procedures.
8. Collect physiological data (pulse, respiration, heart rate, body temperature, etc).
9. Calculate doses.
10. Schedule and coordinate requests for technical assistance.
11. Assist in maintaining breeder colony including transgenic animals.
12. Maintain medical records and online databases accurately.
13. Maintain and assure technical supplies do not fall below critical levels or expire, and that items are requested / ordered with sufficient lead-time to ensure availability and delivery.
14. Anesthesia administration and recovery.
15. Perform QC PM animal health surveillance observations and check for good overall cage conditions once weekly and on weekends; report any caretaker oversights to management for correction.
16. Always think safety first when performing daily duties.
17. Supervise caretakers during weekend shifts.
18. Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Must meet one of the following:
1. Associate Arts Degree in Veterinary Technology
2. AALAS certification (LAT)
3. Experience working with animals in biomedical research preferable, or companion animal practice and be eligible to take the LAT certification.
SoBran, is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.