Kensington Glass Arts (KGa) is seeking a
Preconstruction CAD Drafter to augment the
Preconstruction Team in in our office in Frederick, MD. We specialize in design, fabrication, and
installation of exterior curtain walls, aluminum metal panels, and high-end interior glass tenant build-outs for projects in Maryland, Washington, DC and
The CAD Drafter will be responsible for reviewing new project scopes and construction documents, and preparing project submittal and fabrication
drawings with different levels of intricacy and
technical complexity, be involved in meetings,
and manage submittal deadlines. We are seeking someone who can manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment, and confidently engage with staff of all levels. Flexibility, intelligence,
attention to detail, organizational skills and
excellent judgment will be critical to your success. Must be proficient in AutoCAD, Word and Excel. Construction experience, preferably in the glass
industry, is recommended. See full job description below.
The CAD Drafter provides drafting for various projects using AutoCAD and other drafting and
modeling programs to represent and detail the
KGa scope of work. It requires the interpretation
of existing architectural drawings, details,
specifications and project manuals into a shop
drawing set that will be used to convey our scope
of work to the Architect, our clients, the Project
Management Team and our field staff. This position requires interaction with the Pre-Con Team, the Project Managers and the Field Managers. The
work is predominantly completed in the KGa office, with occasional jobsite visits.
• Production of shop drawings, details and modeling
to accurately represent the scope of work on
various projects for client review and approval,
and for field use.
• Review, interpretation, discussion and consulting
regarding architectural drawings for each project.
• Communication with vendors for details and files to
help in the KGa shop drawing production.
• Review construction schedules for various
projects, and scheduling work to meet those
• Establishing and maintaining the database of shop
• The CAD Drafter is responsible for reviewing all
details related to the installation of our contracted
items, preparation & review of shop drawings.
• Identify expected delivery dates of shop drawings
and possible issues, and relate to Director of
Preconstruction and PM Teams.
• Respond to contractor, vendor and staff inquiries.
• Review shop drawings for accuracy.
• Pre-Con Engineer and Drafter will be OHSA 10
• Review newly awarded projects, and provide
drafting and detailing as required by contract, and
as discussed in weekly Pre-Con Team meetings.
• Communicate with vendors to obtain CAD details
for products that have been selected for projects.
• Communicate with other members of the Pre-Con
Team and the Project Management Teams to
provide the right results.
• Execute and file completed work while adhering
to established schedules, quality standards, and
• Review all details related to the installation of our
contracted items, preparation & review of shop
• Work with Project Management Teams to help with
layouts and revisions to project drawings.
• Site visits may be required to understand the
existing conditions of any given project. You may
be called on to accompany other staff to the field
for that purpose.
• Manage production of shop drawings, other
submittals, and review of revisions & bulletins to
contract documents for multiple projects from the
date of award through the submittal process.
• Write RFI’s to clarify scope and specifications, and
address possible installation challenges.
• Write door & hardware schedules, review for
accuracy and compatibility with local laws, and
collect hardware cut sheets to compose hardware
• Download and review revisions & bulletins to
contract documents thru the Pre-Con stage, and
establish scope changes.
• Work to find new and better technology to facilitate
a better product from Drafting. Train to use these
new technologies and to become expert in this role.
All candidates must have the ability to work at our Frederick location and submit to a pre-employment drug test and background check. We offer a
comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, life insurance, long and short term disability and a 401(k) plan. Please apply at www.kensingtonglass.com and click on “Work for Us".
Kensington Glass Arts is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.