The Distribution Operator is primarily responsible for assisting in the preparation and operation of all production equipment for any given production run, and all set processes. The majority of an Operator’s responsibilities are split up among several primary duties. Performing routine maintenance, preparing and setting up the equipment, monitoring and adjusting the equipment during production so that all packages, bundles and skids meet our FNP & Post Press quality standards. Will monitor and train all inserting personnel at their assigned tasks to insure best practice, safety, and maintaining maximum productivity opportunities of all equipment in the Post Press department.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Checks that all equipment is fully operational prior to the start of a shift and prepares and sets up all machines for production.
- Trains, evaluates/monitors and works with inserter personnel before and during production so they utilize proper techniques and perform their duties at a highly productive level.
- Fosters the “Team” based environment the company encourages in the department.
- Verifies all staged inserts are correct and for the appropriate date.
- Assigns preprints to hoppers.
- Assigns insert personnel to their workstations.
- Monitors equipment during production and adjusts as necessary to achieve top productivity, safety and quality.
- Monitors packages, bundles and completed skids ensuring that all meet company quality Standards.
- Verifies mail jobs are sorted and processed correctly.
- Verifies that inserts set up in the machine are correct prior to production.
- Verifies inserting zones are correct during production.
- Completes necessary paper work, turns it in and sends production reports.
2. Provides direction for all temporary staff, part-time staff, FTE (full-time-equivalent) as well as any apprentice employees.
3. Performs routine maintenance as needed.
- Routinely inspect equipment and report any missing or broken parts to a Manager.
- Remove any paper remnants and blow paper dust, dirt, oil and any other particles off equipment daily.
- Routinely inspect and replace worn suckers during set up for any production run.
- Inspect pockets, suckers and springs, replace suckers and report broken springs to a Manager.
- Inspect carry down rollers and report any broken springs to a Manager.
- Inspect and keep all photo eyes and reflectors clean and replace reflectors if missing prior to any production run.
- Replace carry down belt if needed and notify Manager so new belt can be welded.
- Replace burned out light bulbs on feeders.
- Adjusts Drop timing of feeders.
- Adjusts Vacuum timing of feeders.
4. Forwards other repair needs to immediate Supervisor through a written work order request or via email.
5. Set up equipment and program controllers for all equipment (Inserters, Ink-jet, Stackers and Strapping machines etc.).
6. Must be able to enter carrier information, daily changes, including the addition of last minute inserts and carrier grand totals.
7. Manual duties include: stooping, climbing, bending, stretching, manual dexterity, going up and down stairs and must be able to lift and carry 25 - 50 pounds.
8. The ability to wear and use safety gear is required.
9. The responsibilities and duties described above cover only the most important aspects of the position and do not exclude any other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Workers are expected to be physically capable of lifting, carrying and working with paper bundles ranging in weight from 25 to 50 lbs.
2. Ability to follow given instructions, requiring a level of education to read, write and keep accurate counts on all production requirements.
3. Ability to perform basic mechanical repairs and trouble shoot mechanical problems.
1. Outside temperature affects inside working area, which will vary from hot to cold.
2. Constant standing and walking, stooping and lifting, minimal noise level in work areas may vary dependent on adjacent pressroom and carrier activities.
3. Some dust, paper ink and non-toxic fumes are inherent.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. Principal duties and responsibilities are intended to describe those functions that are essential to the performance of this job. This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position.
Interested applicants may email a resume and cover letter to: Jobs@newspost.com. Please include job title in subject line of emai or come by and complete an application Mon. – Fri. 8:30am – 4:30pm: 351 Ballenger Center Drive, Frederick, MD.
Location/Region: Frederick, MD